Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Dubai Zoo: Some People are Animals Too

I killed a bird this morning.

And though I admit to being an animal at times, this doesn’t make me one. Human animals are more like the Satanic Horse Breeder I went to high school with in Canada, who decided to do some sort of funky ritual on my overly-cuddly-fat-cat, that ended in her being shaved and spray painted. I’ll never understand what the fuck this little woman was thinking, but I did get my revenge on her; by violently chopping off her ponytail in the school yard; or rather attempting to. She would have been bald had my scissors been sharper or her hair been less-matted, maybe she wouldn’t have been able to run away crying before I succeeded. Do I feel bad about this violent attempt? Hell no. But then I also believe in the death sentence for convicted murderers and rapists.

It saddened me to arrive in the Emirates and see that animal neglect was widespread and common here. It stretched from the animal market in Sharjah, where all kinds of animals were dying in cages hardly big enough o fit them without food or water, to the children who threw stones at passing cats, to the Zoo where though slightly better, not at all acceptable. It kills me to read about kids throwing cats today on the highway as some sort of twisted sport; or the ‘shooters’ in the more recently built communities who make a sport out of hunting house animals. So much has changed; and yet so much has stayed the same.

I’m not going to rant about Dubai Zoo, or the cruelty of pet shop owners here, or go on about how the animal-terrorists should be punished. Enough people are doing that already. I am going to say that a lot of you have no idea how much this situation has improved over the last few years. You don’t realize that the state of Sharjah Animal market is 1000% better than it was when we first saw it; regardless of the amount of work that still needs to be done. You don’t realize that cruelty to animals here is being addressed and has been a center of attention for a long while.

My mom’s a volunteer for Feline Friends. She’ll be the first to admit it’s not the smoothest run organization. But she’ll also explain to you that Feline Friends, K9 Friends didn’t even exist ten years ago. She’ll also verify that despite the length of the road ahead the UAE has towards animal compassion; it’s covered more than one would imagine over a shorter period of time and the whole society is still working on it.

This morning, I killed a bird as it flew into my bumper on Abu Dhabi Highway. But before that, I packed up the two lovely little kittens, that you all saw posted by Bu3askoor in the UAE community, and have been my roommates for the past couple of nights and delivered them to my moms house where she’ll be sure to get them their shots and have them put up for adoption in Feline Friends open house this Saturday.

No. I’m not an animal for killing a bird this morning; no matter how horrible I feel about it, because it wasn’t my intention and there was nothing I can do about it. I’m not an animal for it, because I do actually go out of my way to help and take care of wildlife. And in fact, I adore most animals the majority of people wouldn’t. In closing this, I’ll prove it and introduce Sultan my deceased friend the Python.

Boys and Girls, My New profile Image:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Yes it is me. And yes Sultan is wrapped around my head. And no I did not kill him. And yes, this is a photo taken of a photo, thus the shitty image. And yes, I did play with the colors and photo editor and do think it looks funky with this shading.

7 Comments:

Blogger Anon said...

I do trust your FF mother does not view my Feline Friends post.

Or is that her in the centre.



Oh, and why did you kill your python, and did you have his skin made up to form a nice handbag for you that way, and a perfect reminder of your friend.

3:04 PM, May 30, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

UC... I didn't even see that entry! Damn it... I'll be looking..

And hannibal... I don't even want to think about how he died, honestly.

And SS... thank you. I love the pic too!

5:41 PM, May 30, 2006  
Blogger flamin said...

i cant imagine a snake as a pet. yuck. and i dont understand how you slept with a snake :S

but then u're just funnily weird, so i shouldn't be surprised. but i still am...lol :)

6:23 PM, May 30, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

MD... You freaked out when you heard about the kittens... and you call ME weird?

Who the HELL thinks of kittens a Creepy?

6:48 PM, May 30, 2006  
Blogger flamin said...

lol tainted...ANIMALS ARE FREAKY. period. comma. semi-colon. colon. apostrophe.

6:52 PM, May 30, 2006  
Blogger black feline said...

MEOW!!!!

6:04 AM, May 31, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

yes feline...

I'll scratch behind your ears and under your chin...

3:12 PM, May 31, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home