Saturday, September 23, 2006

Ramadan’s Here?


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

For me, it sure doesn’t feel like Ramadan. It’s life as usual on this side of the world. I wonder how long until Dubai will feel just like here during this holy month. Last year, there was no noted law about non-Mulsim’s eating or smoking in public (in Dubai). People were getting off pretty easy compared to the past where there were publicized laws, punishments inclusive of hefty fines for people disrespecting those fasting by eating, drinking or smoking in public. For my western readers, it’s not about forcing the international public to fast, but about forcing them to respect people who are fasting and not entice them to eat or drink or fall prey to greater addictions (like smoking, which is a tough one).

I wonder how many half-naked women were prancing through Dubai supermarkets unintentionally disturbing fasting men today?

For health reasons, I’m not able to fast just yet. Hopefully, by the time I return these problems will be fully sorted and I can at least attempt to give it a go. It’s always harder to start fasting in the middle of Ramadan, and even more difficult to make up days lost after. In fact, most years I’ve failed to do this all together. I can cross my fingers and hope this year is better.

In the meantime, I should probably tone down a lot of what I say here, out of respect for this month and those who are fasting and possibly reading. I can’t make any promises, but I’ll sure try.

For all of you fasting this year, may you be blessed through the many virtues of Ramadan. And all of you who should be fasting but aren’t, may you find the strength to do so.

Happy Ramadan Everyone!

13 Comments:

Blogger Shaykhspeara Sha'ira said...

tainted girllll! Come visit the Ramadan blog and you will get into the vibe. It's like an online iftaar :)

http://ramadankareem.blogspot.com

10:59 PM, September 23, 2006  
Blogger Dream.Pod said...

I dont agree with the laws about ramadan.
There are muslims around the world that manage to fast. Regardless of what other people do.

I think law and religion should always be two seperate things.

If you truly want to fast, you can do so, with or without people eating and drinking in public.

Its not about respect. Its about piety.

9:14 AM, September 24, 2006  
Blogger babe_uae said...

Ramadan Kareem, hope that you are keeping well.

We miss you in Dubai xx

11:00 AM, September 24, 2006  
Blogger inmotion said...

i miss u still

yalla come home

11:02 AM, September 24, 2006  
Blogger * said...

Yalla tainted.
RAMADAN KAREEM!!!!
Come over our place.
Good to know you up and about and posting!
XXXXX

12:18 PM, September 24, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Kiddo; Ramadan Kareem from us! Hope you're getting & feeling better with each passing day.

Take care of yourself and stay in touch!

11:45 PM, September 24, 2006  
Blogger MASS said...

Mubarak 3aleykum eshahar

maybe you want to go to Mecca in this Great Month

get well,, and peace

4:10 AM, September 25, 2006  
Blogger nzm said...

Ramadan Kareem, Tainted.

It just doesn't feel the same not being in Dubai!

1:35 PM, September 25, 2006  
Blogger Destitute Rebel said...

Ramadan Kareem to you Tainted.

7:26 PM, September 25, 2006  
Blogger Jassim said...

weiniiiiiiiichhh?

11:09 AM, September 28, 2006  
Blogger CG said...

Ramadan Kareem
Hope you are feeling better and coming home soon.

12:36 PM, September 28, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

SS…

In Victoria right now, we’re having what locals have dubbed an “Indian Summer”. It pretty much means for them, it’s hotter than hell (though it’s just cooler than a Dubai winter for me), and it’s the end of September. When the weather is good, I prefer to spend more time outside and I’ve been doing just that. I’ve not had a chance to peek into that blog you’re linking, but I’ll be sure to as soon as I get a minute or return to Dubai – where I’m sure it’s still too hot to enjoy going out!!

Dream.Pod…

I fully disagree with you. But thanks for peeking in anyway.

Both babies…

I miss you both immensely. I’m leaving here on the 7th (the boy has decided enough is enough and he’d like me home). So I’ll probably arrive on the ninth or tenth. (I’ve got to check my ticket yet and see how much time I lose coming back. God, I miss home.

Kaya…

Was that an off-line invite?! LOL! I’ll be back online sooner than you all know it, I’m sure.

B…

Right back at you.

Symphony…

My love & regards to you and yours as well.

Q8i…

I’m in Canada now. How in the world I could incorporate a trip to Mecca from here and with the limited funds I’ve got is beyond me. It’s a beautiful thought just the same, so thanks. By the way… I did get your email and I appreciate it much.

NZM…

It sure doesn’t. Life is so different here. I can’t wait to get home, but being here sure gives you perspective. How’s you and yours being away from the Emirates?

DR…

And you too. How’s the month treating you?

Jassim…

Literally, I’m in Canada. In my mind, simply lost as usual. Soon enough I’ll be home and found, Inshallah. :) Thanks for popping in.

CG…

I thought to call you the other day. I realized then it’d have been like 4am your time so decided to postpone it. Soon enough, I’ll be calling.

Miss you all terribly, really.

9:42 PM, September 28, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

By the way all...

I've had my check up appointment and all looks well. I'll have all the test results for Monday, Inshallah. :)

Then I should be fully out of the red and in good health! (I feel a billion percent better as it is already!!!)

10:54 PM, September 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home