Thursday, July 05, 2007

Dubai Description – Borrowed from an Email I Sent Earlier this Week

“About Dubai, I actually meant a lot of things. The excesses play a huge part, yes. But even more so, the sheer racism, bias, judgmental, perfectly plastic natural of people in general got to me over the past few years. It'd make me sick to my stomach to go out and see some newly rich British woman scream something insane at her housemaid in public, or to sit in a coffee shop and note how each table had its own nationality, or even get hit on by one bedu after another - no longer a compliment, but a HUGE turn off. I got tired of the fake friendships people build in an instant with strangers, claiming their love and their devotion to people they'd never met before - too many women in Dubai are like that, and it hurt to lose touch with or watch all my truly good friends leave. On top of it all, I hated the judgmental eyes of just about everyone there. You see, I converted to Islam and started wearing Hijab, just after high school. I'm not at all a good Muslim today, but at one time, I really tried. Everywhere I went, people were assuming (many even speaking of) wrong accusations about me - I was a prostitute, I wanted a local passport, I was anything but a Muslim.

I combated all that by isolating myself in my house. I think I only left my house two or three times in the entire month before I came back here. I'd been that way for about 3 years. Now, even back in Canada, I'm not sure if I know how to socialize anymore. I've completely lost touch. And I'm healing. That's what I meant about Dubai messing with your head and a person like me (I'm sure you knew or assumed even at a young age, that I'm Bipolar), doesn't need it.”

I have a lot of resentment for Dubai society right now. It’s little to do with the traditional, religious or the cultural aspects of the past. It has a hell of a lot more to do with the day-dreaming expatriates and their influence on what was once a culturally rich, incredibly relaxing place to live and socialize. I wish I could turn back time and kick the majority of the current population out. I wish I could take the ten lane highways and turn them back into four lane roads, with far fewer accidents and much shorter travel time. I wish I could go again to a shopping center and have people look at me and smile, rather than look at me and judge based on my appearance – or walk in the desert and have the traditional Bedu wave from atop a camel, way across the dunes, and be comfortable waving back, knowing he means no more than ‘Salaam’.

Dubai was beautiful once. I hope it becomes that, or something that resembles that again.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

'Dubai was beautiful once. I hope it becomes that, or something that resembles that again.'

Hey Kiddo, you're into mind reading now? You stole this idea (from my head) while I was finalizing the last few words of this post - LOL!

Jokes apart, I couldn't agree with you more!

Betcha, your summer is not as sticky as ours, is it? Yesterday was the second stickiest day of this summer and we still have 3+ more months to go! Any tips to survive during these 3 months? LOL :)

10:19 PM, July 05, 2007  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

Hey WoS! Good to see you again! Tips on how to face the summer there? I've got one... GET OUT!!!

My summers a blessing here. The weather is perfect. Nice and warm, without the humidity! I'm having a blast!~

How you been?

10:26 PM, July 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see you're alive & well! It IS great to get out of Dubai, isn't it...
Take care of yourself & keep blogging!

6:38 AM, July 06, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, Tainted-

Aren't you the person who was married to an Emarati (or some Khaleeji) and then ended up in a divorce? I am wondering because I think I recall your screen name.

You seem pretty bitter about your experiences in Dubai, but I was wondering (I hope you don't take it in the wrong sense) why you gave up the hijaab? I am sure you looked much prettier in it.

I hope whatever it is that is bothering you is behind you soon. Keep the faith; this worldly life is all about tests and ups and some very terrible downs.

3:36 PM, July 06, 2007  
Blogger i*maginate said...

Hey there tainted, wonderful post. You couldn't have said it better.

I don't blame "expats" for the way things are these days, rather, I blame the "quality" of expats that live here today. If respect and "love" for the UAE still existed like in the times when decent people lived here, we wouldn't be experiencing the things we do today. Expat "influence" as you said, has changed things, but there are some who choose not to be influenced, and those who choose not to influence, when their influence is neither wanted nor needed.

I think you catch the gist of what I'm saying. At the end of the day, we all influence each other, expat or not, but we don't need to take "shit" from no-one.

Me: I deal with shit all the time, and I must say, I wish I didn't need to ;)

al-republican, having read through tainted's blog, I don't think she's bitter towards Dubai, rather, perhaps towards the way society is here. Yeah, look no further than ahem ahem the UAE Community blog...

tainted is one of the few bloggers who spoke (speaks) their mind and also appreciate(d) living in Dubai while she was here, contrary to what other doofuses had to say about it. I wish we could see more of those opinions on the UAE blogosphere.

7:32 PM, July 11, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP

What a wonderfull post Tainted xx you stole the words from my mind and heart, I have also been out of Dubai and hated the thought of being back here where you are judged and gossiped about and BLAMED for things that you never knew happend.

You are lucky to be out of it, famcy a roomate xxx

Take care of u xxxx


Layla

2:11 PM, August 02, 2007  
Blogger La Bella* said...

Salaam :)

Everything you have written is so true. It touched my heart. What you have written described my own personal thoughts and even experiences also.

I really hopE that you are doing well. I feel you. Our stories are in many ways so similar...

8:34 AM, March 01, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home