Sunday, April 02, 2006

Gross…

That’s the only word to describe what I’m feeling today. Just gross.

The anger of last night that crept into my sleep, disturbing my dreams was only what I’d expect come out of a business relationship with the likes of him. My boss is something else all together. And to make a very long story short; he’s a multinational business owner, never here, knows that I’ve been searching for sales employees for more than 4 months now, without luck. I finally suggested that we bring an old friend of mine in from Serbia; to fill the position, because she’s the best fucking sales person I’d ever seen in the Emirates, and he agreed.
She’s in Egypt now, for a formal interview with him and some basic sales training from his staff there. Yesterday, she calls telling me he’s told her to find an apartment in Egypt and stay working for one of his companies there; something she doesn’t want to do, but feels obliged because he’s already flown her from Serbia to Egypt, and he’s so fucking old she doesn’t want to disappoint him.

FOUR fucking months, I’ve been sifting through CV’s and interviewing one hopeless potential sales person after another without any luck. Business is shit, because right now I only have 1 sales person, and this same manager doesn’t believe in spending money on marketing (or promotional activities of any sort) until he’s made money; an ass-backwards business philosophy if I’ve ever heard one. Even more fucked is that when sales aren’t at their highest; I’m the one to blame… despite the fact the he seems to be doing just about anything & everything to run this company into the ground. Why should he care about it? He’s got so many more that are already established, right? FUCK.

Lets add to this the fact that he’s not yet transferred last months salaries; and I have a rent check due out on the 4th, and you’ll see where this anger is coming from. I’ve just about had it with this company. It sucks because I’m so in love with the products and I know the potential in Abu Dhabi is HUGE; but I’m on the verge of giving up and moving into some dark, shadowy place under some big rock.

He called me eventually last night. I held my tongue and temper as best I could. But it didn’t stop him from somehow making himself out to be the good guy, and her being the indirect one about what she wants. The WHOLE fucking thing was arranged around her coming here, because we fucking need her. I MADE IT CLEAR before I even sent him her CV.

Anyway… That’s the cause of all my anger last night. Some people really piss me off. He’s promised to send the checks for salary today. You think I’ll end up in some court in Ajman, over a bounced check?

I’m tired. I’m really cranky. And my head doesn’t want to work because sleep was just about the last thing I did last night.

Oh... And the entry about looking stupid was about something else all together.

7 Comments:

Blogger Tainted Female said...

A salesperson job isn't easy! its just a talent some people have.

Here B, I have to disagree. The truth of it is, sales CAN be taught. But you have to be willing to work your ass off to learn, and do it right.

There are techniques, many of which are humiliating to the person, and all of which require dedication. The UAE just doesn't seem to have the social motivation for proper sales people.

And twin topaz... You hiring?

4:10 PM, April 02, 2006  
Blogger Emaratyy said...

I got a friend in sales, and to him, he says here in Emirates one can even sell shit.

Its true that sales can be taught, but only an idiot would agree to do all the running around.

7:54 PM, April 02, 2006  
Blogger flamin said...

oh tell me abt it. im looking for a sales/mktg person too and i cant believe with so many friggin graduates, u cant have ONE decent person. and loyalty is a different issue altogether. going thru CVs is a different ballgame - that's how 'CV bloopers' came about. maybe u shud do the same. try to find a light moment in the dark ones.

i hope shit works out for u inshallah and his ass better pay the cheque till the 4th :@

8:21 PM, April 02, 2006  
Blogger archer14 said...

Emaraty..hats off to you, you can indeed sell shit even without the customary packaging.

Tf, time you shifted to the business hub of the UAE, and as Branson puts it, Abu Dhabi's never gonna be a Dubai, not even the UAE can be Dubai.

9:11 PM, April 02, 2006  
Blogger adevents said...

"this same manager doesn’t believe in spending money on marketing (or promotional activities of any sort) until he’s made money; an ass-backwards business"
exactly I wonder how manager or CEOs think we have the same problem the boss doesn’t want spending money on marketing and in the same time he want business done and done good , it cant be it just cant be I met and saw 1000 of like minded bosses what they are thinking? And to let you know we are not 100% for profit organization and we have big big capital but the same story happening here

12:21 PM, April 03, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

adevents...

what I'm so confused about; is how the HELL he managed to make any of his other businesses work... He has SO many in other countries... it's only the ones in the UAE that don't seem to work... and he wonders why...

1:47 PM, April 03, 2006  
Blogger archer14 said...

^^Add to that a natural ability in gauging the clients requirements, ability in 'white lying' to the right person and ofcourse, the most important factor - restraint. Marketing guys talk too much, a little bit of imagination from the other side is essential in clinching the deal.Time in the UAE is woefully short, people seem to act like they're in NYC or LA for the heck of it.

8:18 PM, April 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home