Wednesday, August 16, 2006

In threes?

I was having a conversation with a friend of mine and she’d just received news that something horrible had happened to one of her loved ones. Almost immediately after, she remember the same thing was happening to two other people she is close to. And I added the same is happening to someone we both know. She hadn’t even thought of it, but there go the ‘bad things happening in threes’ belief, huh?

I’m not necessarily superstitious, but my mom is and she believes everything bad happens in threes. Part of the strength in that belief she's got has rubbed off on me, and I can’t help but wonder if the below proves this, since three people are now deceased in two accidents, or if I should be worried about a third deadly accident sometime soon.

Last night I was talking to the boy and he told me he was on his way to a funeral. I assumed it was the one in RAK I mentioned here. He corrected that assumption with, “No. In Ajman! I didn’t tell you? This is another friend who died on the roads in a completely different accident, both people in the car died.” I had no idea, “Tomorrow Inshallah, I’ll go to RAK.”

On a much lighter note…

I’m sure by now we’ve all seen the Bush/monkey comparisons… But have you all seen this many in one shot? I hadn’t and it made me smile so I thought I’d share.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

~*Thank you Irene, for sending this my way.

9 Comments:

Blogger BuJ said...

aha.. i remember reading in The Alchemist that there's an arabic proverb along the lines of "if something happens once it will never happen again, but if something happens twice it will surely happen a third time"...

interesting eh?

wonder if you've read that short but wonderful book..

5:57 PM, August 16, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

No I haven't actually... It was recommended to me once though...

Maybe I should pick a copy up, huh?

6:04 PM, August 16, 2006  
Blogger S said...

Funny, he Bush always made me think of chimps. Figures
Well, we say that all bad thing come in pairs... Not so the good ones, though.

6:19 PM, August 16, 2006  
Blogger Prometheus said...

That does it Tainted. I'm bustin ya. You are such a wicked person, I ain't gonna read ya yer rights, or lefts. You are unda arrest 'pon complaint of PETA..

What did those poor chimps ever do to ya? Huh?

It's all right monkey, it's all over now. There there... we're gonna take you someplace safe. HEY, that's NOT a banana, dumbkofp.

7:08 PM, August 16, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

rofl @ Prometheus...

Samoum... Maybe both are right...
2 & 3? And if that's so, what's the point again?

7:50 PM, August 16, 2006  
Blogger Lizza said...

Your post reminds me of another "bad threes" belief. Some people think that having three people in one picture together is bad luck because one of them will die. I have no idea where this came from. Do I believe it? Errr...probably not. I ain't superstitious.

*knocks on wood*

8:46 PM, August 16, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

I've never heard of that one Lizza, but I've been in LOTS of photos where there are three of us...

I hope it's not true!

9:12 PM, August 16, 2006  
Blogger Prometheus said...

Enlighten you I shall, children.

All over SAARC nations, it used to be commonly held (but not seriously taken) that trouble comes in threes and that three people shouldn't embark on, say a journey. One of them would carry a trinket or some other thing to make the number four.

Me granny believes that to this day. Me? I believe anything with ME in it has a snowball's chance in hell.

11:44 PM, August 16, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

Soooo... now we know where it originates from... but is there any relevance to it?

LOL. I think I'm going nuts today!

12:08 AM, August 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home