Monday, July 17, 2006

Canadian for Emirati Passport Trade Proposition - Any Takers?

Years back, I found myself in the midst of some pretty serious, though false criminal accusations made against me in Ras Al Khaimah Court. Even more, my accuser was at that time what Canadian Consulate officials and I believed to be a very powerful and dangerous man.

I will not dwell into any possible gullibility in believing the man was an assassin prior to his residence in the Emirates, for a number of reasons. I can not stress enough that the evidence to support this was strong enough for the Canadian Counsel to issue me a personal security letter (based not on the possible outcome of the cases, but the threat this man openly made on my life) that should allow me to carry my passport at all times despite the UAE law at the time, permitting my company to hold it. They suggested I leave the UAE immediately and insinuated a possibility of placing me in a witness protection program. To start with, I will never know the truth about who he is or what he may or may not have been capable of. Furthermore, it’s been years since and the threat he once spoke has found its way into the back of my heart and nestled itself in a cocoon of indifference.

In other words, should this man one day make true of his threats, I will not be surprised. Simultaneously and in complete contradiction should I not meet such a fate at his hands, I will also not be surprised. I simply no longer care.

But at that time I was nothing more than a western teenager, living a real life Middle Eastern nightmare. The events that took place in the courtroom which was really no more than an office with an old, cheap, grey school-desk and some plastic chairs; where the judges drank tea and conducted personal conversations by phone during witness testimonies and strangers continually walked in and out of the room sharing some current news or asking some irrelevant question of any of the many men who were meant to be preoccupied with the case at hand; the case where I was being charged with theft of more than 100,000Dhs worth in business contracts, are purely indescribable. Through the black veil I and even all non-Muslim women who were somehow connected to this case was forced to wear, our lips were demanded sealed, because in that courtroom women were not permitted to speak until it was time to give testimony – and even then, nothing a woman said should stray from answering the questions asked. I cried, I sobbed, I listened and interpreted as much as I was able of the Arabic lies being told by both my accuser and even the translator, and I watched as the Canadian Counsel did nothing but observe before slowly vanishing.

As the case proceeded from one trial date to the next and the future of my hand came closer and closer to amputation; my following years more and more certain to be spent behind bars in RAK, I watched as the Canadian government slowly stepped further and further away from me, the RAK and even the case.

We’d contacted the Embassy during the beginning of this nightmare. At this time they offered full support. For anyone who believes that a Western Embassy, thus a western citizen has any pull, what-so-ever in the outcome of these sorts of cases I defy you and say I know better and you will not be able to argue with what I have seen and experienced first hand.

The Canadian Embassy looked over my case; they handed me the letter and suggested I flee the UAE. They handed me a list of private UAE based lawyers, recognized by the Canadian government and promised to help in any additional way they could for the duration of the case.

When I questioned what ways they could help, I learned the simply truth that many of you seem to be ignorant of. Their help could and would only be purely moral. The Counsel would stand by my side during the hearings. And even that, they failed miserably at. The Canadian government official appeared for the first two hearings before vanishing completely.

When I requested financial support to hire one of the many ‘prestigious’ and outrageously expensive lawyers they recommended, I was informed that there was no way the government would help me, despite the taxes I should pay them based on my overseas salary. When I requested they help us find a competent translator to accompany us to the hearings, I was again let down; despite the fact that the Counsel could comprehend less Arabic than I, though the Arabic speaking females who were present during these hearings defined and made clear precise lies, or mistakes made during translation.

I finally won this case, but it was done without the slightest bit of help from the Canadian government. I won and it was a bloody miracle that took place, even after the judge had started to verbalize his guilty judgment.

Yesterday, I found this letter in 7Days and wasn’t the least bit surprised.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


I can not understand why the sheer incompetence of the Canadian government, the utter greed they prove through tax laws, the failure to reach most expectations of any Canadian national, and the indifference the Canadian government shows to its citizens who are unjustly suffering while abroad and at home, hasn’t reached the ears and hearts of those who direly seek to immigrate there and obtain Canadian nationalities.

The American government is in the process of retrieving its citizens who are currently stuck in the cross fire in Lebanon. The UAE has already retrieved its citizens and multiple other governments are in the process of either planning or initiating the evacuation of their citizens from the highly popular tourist destination during its peak tourism season, that’s suddenly become a daylight hell on earth.

Once again, I’m disgusted by the nationality I carry due to my sheer disappointment in my government. Once again, I’d rather support everything and anything UAE related than Canadian. At least, the UAE makes every effort to support and help their citizens in every imaginable way, as every government should consider their first responsibility.

For the first time, I feel myself envious of the UAE nationality. Are there any Emirati’s who would be interested in trading passports? You can have the nationality sought after by more than half the planet! It’s prestigious, I swear! And I’ll take the security the UAE government offers its Nationals in exchange. Sound’s like a fair deal to me!

For all of you who are considering immigration to Canada, I’d like to suggest you choose Australia or even America before dumping yourself and your loved ones into the hands of this government. The American government might be a lot of bullies & bastards, but at least they’re evacuating their own citizens from the war zone they condone!

7 Comments:

Blogger adevents said...

Shit that all I can say shit
I guess I was wrong ,anyhow do u know that the UAE embassy in lebanon started now to help and evacuate some UAE residents in Lebanon form different nationalities (this from a reliable source) this is a very kind and generous move from the UAE government

3:16 PM, July 17, 2006  
Blogger adevents said...

u can also go and read this blog i just read that after i comment above
http://aethoughts.blogspot.com/


"I must applaud the UAE governments caring and speedy reponse towards its nationals. This government can still prove that it still cares and can come through when the going gets tough. Great Job Guys. I applaud all the hard working men and women of the foreign ministry, who have helped their people in foriegn lands and in distress. They have all done us a great job. Take a bow guys. I would urge the UAE govenrment to give similar aid to any foreigners residing in the Emirates, if the capacity is available"

3:23 PM, July 17, 2006  
Blogger adevents said...

OK ok ok i can see that now i was too late u did see that post and u even made a comment sorry i thought i did beofre u LOL

3:25 PM, July 17, 2006  
Blogger Jayne said...

I feel the same way about 'Great Britain' altho these days there's stuff all great about the place.
We all travelled to Kenya 16yrs ago, to have a much needed break after Grandads death. Upon arrival in Ni-robbery we were denied entry because we had South African residency stamps in our British passports. The British High Commission refused to help us because it was the day before Christmas Eve & everyone had buggered off. When we eventually did manage to get hold of a 'diplomat' (my arse - he was probably the fekkin teaboy) he said there was nothing he could do, even though we didn't need any paperwork or anything, because our British Passports guaranteed us entry.
We spent the whole night in a transit area & finally managed to get a plane back to Joburg the following morning. It was the push I needed to get me to take out SA Citizenship.
I travelled on a S'african passport everywhere after that.

4:56 PM, July 17, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

And AD… LOL! Yeah, I’ve heard and I saw Emirati’s post already. ;) Look into Australia, for your sake!

Actually Jin,

One of the co-accused in this case was British. Her embassy wouldn’t even let her speak to the counsel, believe it or not?! It’s crazy really.

11:44 PM, July 17, 2006  
Blogger Taunted said...

At least the Bitish government is sending the HMS Illustrious to get the brits out!

Well that's what they're saying, I don't think an aircraft carrier gives the right impression though, do you?

9:11 AM, July 18, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

And you were saying this morning, the Canadian government has finally decided to send a few ships in to get Canadians out, yeah? Real quick about it they were, huh?

11:20 AM, July 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home