Friday, August 25, 2006

Belgrade

In the winter of 2003, I went to Serbia to stand by my best friend as she delivered her first child. Since, she’s moved on and away to Egypt. It just so happens that on the 7th of September, she’ll be back in Belgrade for the sake of changing her work permit in Egypt (if she decides to stay working there she’ll only be in Belgrade for 10 days, but I’m not so sure she’ll go back). I’ve booked my ticket for the 8th.

This is photo I took in 2003, of the view from her bedroom window in Serbia.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

It looks real pretty for those of us in the desert, but I assure you it was hell on earth. Temperatures below freezing made it impossible to think about showering first thing in the morning. Government restrictions and control on household heating meant you would freeze to death when the government decided it was time to turn the heaters off and you would roast when they decided to turn them back on. I was told I should shower with socks on by my best friend’s 80-year-old grandfather, and I was told I needed to drink a shot of Brandy before brushing my teeth each morning, and should carry a bottle with me everywhere to insure I wouldn’t freeze to death. I can’t remember the exact temperatures now, but it was fucking cold. So much so, that that very same grandfather kept food on the balcony instead of in the freezer to preserve it.

The pure depression of the society in that place was like nothing I’d ever seen or could have believed existed. About two weeks after I arrived I saw the first smile on a stranger’s face and actually jumped up and hugged him, making my friend snap a photo because I was so happy to finally see a glimpse of happiness in public. I still have that photo, but since I’m in it, I won’t be posting it here. I was assured by locals it was the winter that did it to people. In the summer time, Serbia is a happy place. I find it hard to believe, but I’m about to find out. I’m also going to see my best friends baby for the first time since she was born. I can’t wait.

Maybe Taunted can help me, when it comes to what Belgrade is like just now. I believe he’s just come back from there.

There aren’t any tickets available back home until after the 15th of September. I’m afraid that may be too long off in my case. I don’t know that I trust the hospitals there, but my friend has assured me that there are really good private ones, far better than the government one I saw (where medicines were not available but had to be brought in from outside by the patients), and the treatment I need is available. I’m not sure how long I’ll be gone yet, but it’s pretty much confirmed… I’m going.

In the meantime, my son has refused to go to the school tomorrow with his father unless I go with him. It sure feels good to know that your baby still wants you, especially when you know that soon enough he won’t want my hand at all. I need to get up early tomorrow to accompany my ex husband and my child to the school. I hope he’ll be alright on his first day, if I’m away for it. Then, my ex husband is off to look into getting a new nanny and a new maid. Hopefully, I’ll hold my temper if I see either of these women tomorrow. The more I think about what they may have exposed my son to, the more I see my self beating the shit out of them both.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy.

10:57 PM, August 25, 2006  
Blogger Lizza said...

The snow in the pic is pretty, but you're right...temperatures below zero would make it a cold day in hell on earth to people not used to such weather.

Best wishes on your treatment. Take care.

1:15 AM, August 26, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gimme a fookin call - there's someone I know....

1:53 AM, August 26, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

fooker, call yourself fooker please, that way it takes less thought for me to figure out who you are when you make comments like that... lol. Or call yourself Stoopid (cause that one was funny).

Lizza, luckily it won't be snowing (I hope) when I get there this time. Summertime!

Westernguy,

Thank you. I'm sure we'll all be just fine. I'm a tough cookie, so is my son. This trip is something I have to do and I don't really have the option to postpone it just now.

9:57 AM, August 26, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

TF: Correction. It's gonna be Autumn and it really gets cold especially in the evenings & early mornings so go prepared. Still early for snow, it doesn't snow until October or November but you never know, do you? Be prepared.

4:25 PM, August 26, 2006  
Blogger adevents said...

tainted, if u r going to visit ur friend than this is another story but if u r going really for medical reasons i would say canada i cant see how is Belgrade is better than UAE in this case.
isnt that the same friend u posted something about her marrige to egyptian before? just wondring

9:26 AM, August 27, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

Symphony...

I so hope you're wrong about the cold. I'm not ready to freeze again!!!

AD... It's better because there is a seat available sooner and it offers the treatment I need whereas the UAE doesn't.

You've been missing around here for a while. And you've not updated your blog either. Welcome back.

10:12 AM, August 27, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

And yup... it is the same friend, but she's leaving Egypt for Serbia, as I mentioned there.

10:14 AM, August 27, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

TF: I mentioned the weather being cold based on our own previous travels to Poland & Ukraine early September. Like I said, it does get cold but not to the point of freezing but it's better you pack warm clothes. Coincidentally, we'll be in Poland & Ukraine mid-September and boy oh boy does it chill? You bet it does.

Have a safe journey, God speed and immense luck with your medical treatment.

10:31 AM, August 27, 2006  
Blogger Shaykhspeara Sha'ira said...

I dread the long cold winter that's about to hit us here in sweden.

The picture is very appropriate though, if I am not mistaken, Belgrade means "the white city".

6:12 PM, August 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home