Sunday, August 20, 2006

Doing the ‘Mom’ Thing…

I picked up my son on Friday. The maid/nanny and his father tell me that he refused to even visit the school he should be attending come September, with them. He doesn’t want to go and I don’t blame him.

If my memory serves me correct, we don’t even think about school for our kids until they’re four or five-years-old in Canada and many will start as late as six. Preschool is something different, meant for the children to learn to socialize and possibly offer parents some off-time in a land where nannies are far less utilized than here.

Anyway, we’ve chosen an English speaking school that’s based on the ‘American’ system for him. And he’s agreed to come take a look at it today so long as I and the maid/nanny go with him. I don’t imagine the American system in America is much different from the Canadian one, including starting age. Maybe an American or two can help me out here.

I’ve spoken to the school a number of times concerning a number of things, the top of that list is my sons inability (or better put, will to speak English over Arabic). He understands, now, most of what you say when you talk to him in English, but he prefers to reply in Arabic. Anyway, during the course of those conversations I was told he’ll get his ‘books’ for the year at the end of August.

How many books does a three-year-old need? I can’t even make him sit long enough for me to read a book to him before he’s pointing at this pictures on the page and telling me what they are, what they look like or that he wants one of whatever fictitious toy he sees. Are they really considering teaching academics at this young age? I’m curious to know how other parents feel about this one, and if it’s a similar system in your perspective countries.

To me, 3 going on 4-years-old is too young to be given homework.

Anyway, in addition to that I want to say that I’ve found yet another change in the UAE I’m not happy about. Yesterday, my son and I went to buy him a goldfish. I needed a few things from the supermarket and his hair was looking a little shabby at the same time. Taking him to the salon has always been a nightmare because the boy acts like every slice of hair removed is in-fact an extension of his head that will cause severe pain and suffering should they be cut off. He agreed to get that done yesterday too, so I was left wondering only, which baby salon to take him too?

I hate driving all over the city to get errands done and since I promised him the goldfish the night before, I couldn’t skip that errand for the sake of sake of doing the rest. Suddenly I remembered where I’d seen a supermarket, baby salon and even goldfish stand person in the same place; Union Coop on Al Wasl road. I hadn’t been there for years, but yesterday it seemed like a blessing this place existed.

The first thing I noted was there was no more baby salon. They’ve closed it down. The second thing I noticed; no more fish. (This one would have been perfect because it ONLY sold fish as far as I can remember and I wouldn’t have to deal with him begging for cats or squirrels in addition).

We ended up buying the detergents and a few coloring books before heading off to Animal World on the beach road (not very pretty for all the hype, I must add); which only had goldfish that were suffering from that ‘white spot’ disease, fish die so rapidly from. So much for not driving all over the city. He never did get his hair cut. I ended up buying multiple smaller fish to make up for the one I promised him but we couldn’t get our hands on. I’m not even going to state how much they cost, but suffice it to say I was shocked.

I’ve had pets my whole life. I’ve bought fish all over this country. And I shouldn’t be shocked at the increasing prices even there. I will say spending approximately 800% more than you expected to pay for a few fish is a perfect example of just how much the cost in the UAE really is increasing.

Anyway, I’m doing the mom thing and since my baby should be starting school next month I’m spending even more time with him and paying more attention to making sure he’s having as much fun as possible during the last few free days he’s got in his life before he starts the 8am to 1pm, moving on to the 9am to 3pm and finally being thrust into the 9am to 5pm (or 8am to 8pm as many here actually do have it) we all know as life and responsibilities. For this reason, I’m not around here as much as I’d like to be. Forgive me for not keeping up with my favorite blogs for the next few weeks.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

take care young lady

9:56 AM, August 20, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

:)

Ahhh, I'll be around. Just not as often.

10:22 AM, August 20, 2006  
Blogger black feline said...

your highness....i love fish...delicious...happy mother's day!

10:56 AM, August 20, 2006  
Blogger Harsha said...

On the street that I live = baby salon + fish world + supermarket across the road

na na na na na na

why dont you put ur son in pre school?

btw.. I started school at 3 too..

11:46 AM, August 20, 2006  
Blogger Jayne said...

I bawled my eyes out the firt time my son tried on his (first) school uniform...........he was all grown up in an instant! Take photos of him hon, cos they'll be treasured in years to come.....and enjoy your time together xxxx

1:40 PM, August 20, 2006  
Blogger S said...

Whaaat??? Where I come from, at the age of 3 we start kindergarten, not school. Funnily enough, we end up at the same educational level than those from other systems... go figure

2:35 PM, August 20, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Mommy's Boy would be delighted to have his Mama around him all the time telling his friends all about 'My Mama this, my Mama that'.

Remember to be take his pictures and caption them with date, time, etc. Someday, you can live those moments and be proud of yourself and Mommy's Boy.

Mabey, we get to see a list of your favorite blogs?

Mama, you're tuff :-)

Just had to say these :-)

Be cool.

4:14 PM, August 20, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

BF… You’re welcome to come around and swat at the tank all you want, but if you even think about eating my sons fish, I will have to feed you to the dogs.

Harsha… You’re in Bur Dubai? I’m jealous. My best friend used to live there, and everything was in walking distance. Seems like one of the better designed areas for people who don’t like to drive. My ex didn’t like the idea of preschool, and well I had little control over it. He never went. My in laws don’t believe in it. For social skills, I suppose it’s good that he’s at this age. I’m just worried about the curriculum, which didn’t sound so tough when I asked about it today. And you started school here, though didn’t you?

Jin… I felt freaked right out being in there today. I even told the principal this is the best way to make a woman feel old. Yup. He’s growing up. I need to do the same sooner or later. ;) Of course I’ll take photos! And hand & foot prints too!! (I’m one of those super-creative moms’, who is big on sentimental stuff since I never had a baby book, I make sure my son should have everything when he wants to know about his childhood!!!)

Samoum, in Poland you mean? Three is the normal age to start? My son is 2 weeks to young to start kg2 here so the principal talked about it and mentioned even in America it should be 5 years old (she explained kg2 is equivalent to kindergarten and kg1 pre-kindergarten). She said it’s just the ministry here that accepts children younger.

Symphony, it’s funny… I never really thought of him as a momma’s boy but in some ways I guess you’re right. Today, he insisted the maid stayed home while we went and when ended up going alone despite him asking for her to come last night. Momma’s boy or not, I know soon enough I’m going to miss his hugs and willingness to hold my hand. :(

8:26 PM, August 20, 2006  
Blogger Harsha said...

yep..started school here.. and I live in taunteds mirror land - karama

10:14 PM, August 20, 2006  
Blogger S said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:24 PM, August 20, 2006  
Blogger S said...

Don't you have nurseries in the States (or Canada)? I guess it's just a question of terminology ;)

10:26 PM, August 20, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

lol! You can do Taunted's shopping for him, Harsha!

Samoum! Of course! But nursery school isn't the same! They're going to teach him starting from now... She told me he should know how to write three-letter words by the end of this year. That's a LOT for a three-year-old (going on four)isn't it?

11:29 PM, August 20, 2006  
Blogger phaedrus said...

hi babe, ok so i live in america, and have a girl in 4th grade (9 yrs old) and she did not get homework until 1st grade (6 years old), and she did not have actual books until 2nd grade. she also went to preschool, but like you said, it was just to socialize and for me to get a break during the day.

in america, kindergarden is optional, although almost everyone sends their child to kg. still the goal of kg is just to get kids used to being in school.
sounds like your baby is getting a LOT of work piled on his shoulder for a such a young one...i wouldn't want him to get burnt out and hate school at such an early age...there's still 20+ years to go!!

7:10 PM, August 21, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

"i wouldn't want him to get burnt out and hate school at such an early age..."

It seems that this is the norm here, I guess. I agree with you. It seems like a lot for him at such a young. Especially when I consider the fact that I can't read him a book without him getting distracted with something. We'll just have to grit out teeth and see what happens...

Now, if I could only make him wake up early morning I'd be able to come to terms with it all!

8:28 PM, August 21, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

Westernguy,

I agree with you wholeheartedly and I've explained this already in an email.

I don't believe the education available here has reached those standards yet, in fact the lack of choices even at the stage of higher education is one of the reason's I didn't complete university.

My son will be four in October. If I can convince his father (and I think I'm doing a pretty good job) to put him in kg1 instead of kg2, he'll hopefully be exactly where he should be as far as I'm concerned.

I'm sure what you've said about that report and forcing children to learn early is correct, but luckily for me my son has no problem recognizing symbols and numbers just now. He's always had a knack for it, and even points them out and names them in the car... "Mom, why isn't there an O here?" As he points to the (R,D,P, etc) letters on the gear thingy.

6:42 AM, August 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home