Friday, August 18, 2006

Martial Arts: ‘Warning’ verses ‘Threat’

If someone trained in martial arts used excessive force against someone who attacked them, I believe* they’re legally responsible to warn the aggressor that they are trained in martial arts and can inflict more excessive damage than the original aggressor thought, prior to using it. Only after and if the aggressor continues, does this use of martial arts (that unknown strength) become legal. Therefore the aggressor being warned of consequences is NOT being threatened, but being warned to make sure they are aware of consequences they will face, should they choose to continue baiting.

I’ve been in similar situations where I’ve chosen to warn my aggressor prior to using whatever available weapons I had to defend myself and luckily, in most cases I’ve found that by doing so I’ve managed to stifle an issue before it gets way out of hand and relinquish any future aggression. I’m astonished to know that this has been received by some as me threatening them with my hidden strength.

Go on and try to tell me (or yourself) that I’m using the ‘self-defense’ plea for all the wrongs I’ve done to people. I most certainly am NOT referring to every single conflict I’ve ever had, and I most certainly HAVE been the aggressor my fair share of times. I’m simply not talking about those incidents just now. But I’m sure there are enough of you who believe me to be delusional enough to actually think all of my attacks would fall under the legal definition of ‘self-defense’, blah, blah, blah, fucking, blah… So I thought I’d make that clear before you make up more proof through your selective understanding to solidify your preconceived belief that I’m the Antichrist.

*I’m not sure how accurate that belief is about legally informing an aggressor that you’re trained in martial arts. I’ve never done any research on this and all I know comes from either media or television shows & movies. But it’s been repeated enough times, I’m pretty confident it’s a realistic belief. Please do correct me if I’m wrong, but even if it’s not a law, wouldn’t it be another one of those morals martial arts enthusiasts are famous for since it's repeated so often?

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

From what I know, anyone trained in martial arts is not supposed to use excessive force but just disable their opponent temporarily.

Having said this, they can use excessive force when a threat is measured in terms of severe damage.

Of course, it all depends in that moment in time 'Threat - Warning - Damage'.

10:25 AM, August 18, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

On a lighter note, I think I have a teenie-weenie bit of idea whom this 'Martial Arts' post is directed to :-)

LOL

Self-control, self-restraint is the order and rule of the day Kiddo, don't allow anybody to piss you off.

Be cool.

10:43 AM, August 18, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

It's interesting. I've always found martial arts interesting, but I'm too damn lazy to get into it. And yes, I'm aware that the defense has to be equal to the initial attack, otherwise it's considered excessive force... But then, some people still think Israel had full rights and did no wrong with their disproportionate attack on Lebanon.

And on that lighter note...

There's a difference between 'directed to' (which it's not) and 'inspired by' (witch it may or may not be).

;)

12:02 PM, August 18, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

Awwwe shucks! There's another perfect spelling error to add to my ever growing list! LOL!

12:03 PM, August 18, 2006  
Blogger Prometheus said...

I heard tell of a Japanese businessman in New York who, when accosted by hoodoos, would simply scream Hiii yeeeaaa and jump into a pseudo karate pose. That would scare the faeces outta the hoods who, having seen Bruce Lee movies, would promptly scamper.

Me? I carry with me a 295 page advisory, complete with legal clauses that I make my adversaries read and sign before we fight.

People don't get past page 74 and those who do have their brains duly intercoursed enough for the old flower lady to beat them with one arm tied behind her back.

1:06 PM, August 18, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a coincidence; I was just reading William Safire's 'The Last Word' in today's Gulf News Weekend Review and bumped into this word 'disproportionate'. Small world huh?

Which is 'witch'? LOL :-)

My lighter note comment was inspired by that Hendrix/Doors classic 'Everybody is Kung Fu fighting' in view of those Anon buggers bugging you.

2:34 PM, August 18, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

Prometheus,

You're joking right? About the Japanese business man in New York? LOL!

And Symphony...

Thanks. Now I've got those damn lyrics in my head!

5:55 PM, August 18, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

Or closer to home...

All Whites have it easier.

All Asians have it harder.

All Locals are walking money bags.

All Russian women have less than desirable jobs.

All Nigerians are trying to scam others (to the point where banks actually refuse to deal with some).

The list of stereotyping in the UAE alone is extensive and can go on and on, really.

11:36 AM, August 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home