Saturday, August 26, 2006

Bravo Costa Rica & Bravo El Salvador

Bravo Costa Rica & Bravo El Salvador

Today, I was finally able to watch the documentary linked in Buj’s blog, about American News propaganda and the Palestine/Israel conflict. Not only did it make a lot of sense, I agree with Buj and all the people who made comments there who said this film is a MUST see for just about everyone. Please do take a look at that link. Whether you agree with my belief’s that American media is one of Israel’s greatest propaganda machines or not, by viewing this video you’ll have an idea of why the American public is widely considered dumbed-down* by their own media by the rest of the world. It’ll give an idea of what other’s think and why we think it. It’s worth a look.

*I read that ‘dumbed-down’ term somewhere, but can’t remember where.

One of the main points that video touches about the American media and the way it conceals the truth is through omission of important details needed to understand the base of the conflict. The most important of all is the ‘Occupied Territories’, which according to the documentary are systematically called ‘Jewish Neighborhoods’ instead of Jewish Occupation Settlements. Neighborhood is a peaceful term, Occupation Settlement isn’t.

Anyway, these widely ignored truths are finally getting recognition. On August 17th, I wore a smile from ear to ear over the news that Costa Rica had decided to remove it’s Embassy in Israel from Jerusalem (Occupied Territories) to Tel Aviv, in a move to correct a wrong made in the past.

’"It's time to rectify an historic error that hurts us internationally and deprives us of almost any form of friendship with the Arab world, and more broadly with Islamic civilisation, to which a sixth of humanity belongs," Arias said at an event marking his first 100 days in office.’

This move left El Salvador as the only country with an Embassy based in Jerusalem, for Israel. Today, the decision has been reported by them as well to leave the occupied territories for Tel Aviv.

‘Franciso Lainez, El Salvador's foreign minister, announced the decision on Friday that would see his country follow the example of neighbouring Costa Rica which said last week it would pull its diplomatic mission out of the disputed city.’

It’s not really a wonder that the Israeli public is turning against Olmert, is it? My bet is, if Israel didn’t handle the capture of two soldiers by destroying an entire country and murdering countless civilians, they’d not be losing the political stance they enjoyed for so long. You can argue that no one won the most recent war in Lebanon, but I’ll gladly believe all the innocents killed during this war were martyrs, who died for a greater cause and a greater step closer to true peace in the Middle East, and I’ll pray that God grants them all eternal bliss.

I also tried to watch the much talked about “Syriana” film today, but damn that movie starts off slow. I fell asleep.

*I should mention here that all the news links are from Al Jazeera English, and for some reason I always have to refresh the page on that site before I can actually get the news. You might come across the same 'error' notice I do with the first click. Just refresh and you'll get the link.

6 Comments:

Blogger Tainted Female said...

I agree. But a wrong made right should be forgiven, yeah?

10:09 AM, August 27, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

True!

Yes absolutely!

10:18 AM, August 27, 2006  
Blogger nzm said...

Maybe you read about dumbing-down here.

;-)

12:11 PM, August 27, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

Nzm, I was just in your blog and started reading that entry before I got distracted and wasn’t able to complete reading the entry. I was going to ask you the same thing, only if you’d used it before in your blog, because I swear I only saw that entry this morning!!!

1:06 PM, August 27, 2006  
Blogger psamtani said...

I sent you that link a month ago, btw...

Also, Syriana is a bullshit movie. Really, really boring!! Coming from a person that's really interested in Mideast issues, thats a statement.

Get your hands on "West Beyrouth" and "Munich" now. Hell, I'll mail them to you if you want.

9:08 PM, August 28, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

Which link? The first one to the video in Buj's blog?

Well, considering the trouble I had opening it you can see why I probably didn't watch it then!

And I'll look for these movies in my future travels, if I can't find them... I will take you up on that offer. Thanks!

And I wasn't expecting to see you here so soon. How's are the classes taking off?

6:55 AM, August 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home