Saturday, July 14, 2007

Small Addictions... (We’re all allowed a few of them)

I’ve been gone just over a month. And I still read Gulf News & 7Days, daily. And slowly, I’m learning to spend more time on UAE blogs as well – and I’m actually enjoying those now. It’s funny how true the saying, “Absence makes your heart grow stronger,” is. Only, my pleasure comes from an intoxicated giggle about the redundancy (and seemingly dying) UAE blogsphere. Where’d all the good bloggers go? I cleaned up my blogrolls the other day, removed most of the ones that seemed inactive. If I accidentally removed yours, let me know and I’ll put it back up.

So Sex & Dubai has been blocked. And there’s a petition about it. Whether you read the blog or not, whether you have access to it or not, please go and sign. The fact is, by ignoring proxy blocks like this, you’re simply allowing the TRA to decrease the size of UAE’s cyber world, period. And that aint right.

I’m trying to decide which direction I should take this blog from here. I could be a complete loser who sits outside the UAE and still makes comments, complaints, and demands on a country I’m currently not tied too, but I’m pretty sure that would mirror another well known blogger’s past attempts – and God forbid I’m accused of being a copycat. ~*Yeah, I’d say I’m still a little bitter there… So why not stir up a little shit when I feel like it?

I could write about life here, but I’m pretty sure that’s beyond most readers comprehensions. And I’d hate to be accused of attempting to push my values on the UAE culture – since I still very much consider myself a part of the UAE. I’m too fucked in the head to be anything but!

But I think instead, I might just ramble about experiences here and the major differences between B.C. and Dubai. The first thing I should probably write about would be my daily coffees/chats with a Jew! Until I left UAE, where anything Jewish is blacked out, wiped off the maps, or blocked by proxies I’d almost forgotten Jews still existed (hear the sarcasm there?). Now, I know Greg – in person. And I like him. I’m pretty sure he likes me too, since we have a hell of a lot in common. Do you know how popular pork is on this side of the world?

Nonetheless, I’m not yet sure where I’m going. And that should count for my silences. If you’ve got any ideas, or suggestions… Let me know. But before you do, I ask once again that you sign that petition for Sex & Dubai; even if you don’t read or like it. Blocking out reality is a sure way to stop people from learning from it.

Cheers.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, for one, would love to read your canadian impressions. I spent only two weeks there - half visiting, half administrative stuff and am curious what it looks like from everyday perspective.

6:00 PM, July 15, 2007  
Blogger BHCh said...

So, you immigrated to Canada? Welcome! Hope you like it here.

9:05 AM, July 18, 2007  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

Hey Samoum...

I'm still considering. Thanks for always stopping by.

Shelemazl...

Define "immigrated" please? I am Canadian. I always have been. I was born and raised in Canada until I was 14 years old, when I moved to the UAE. I have moved back home to Canada. And yes, I DO love home, thank you very much.

2:49 AM, July 19, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops..could you PLEASE delete my last comment as this was BEFORE i realized you had posted your email on here in case a reader wanted to email you directly ?
I dont want others to see my private email.
Shukran !

7:32 PM, July 19, 2007  
Blogger BHCh said...

Oops, my bad. I did not realize you were from Canada. Your indignation is more than justified.

Will you ever forgive me?

1:00 AM, July 20, 2007  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

No worries shemazl...

And Anon... I'll send a note your way as soon as possible, I did get your email. I'm just short for time now that I'm home!

3:55 AM, July 20, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home