Sunday, March 26, 2006

Sharla – The part you’re refusing to see

Before you read this, please note that I’ve learned from cg’s comments on this entry a technical problem with her Blog may have actually been the cause of the incident I mention below. I apologize to cg for my accusation, and hope that anyone who may have read this over a first time and formed a negative opinion about cg as a result of this entry, will also see this note and reconsider.

On my way to work this morning I considered how to word this entry and had pretty much made up my mind, when I came here and got distracted by a comment made by the very person I had previously decided not to mention while rambling here today. This person inspired this entry, only she did so in a rather distasteful way, while what I have to say about Sharla is only in sincere gratitude and utmost respect.

You see yesterday I made a comment on cg’s blog concerning Sharla that cg decided not to publish; while immediately after, making a comment herself about keeping the conversation sober and there being nothing humorous about the situation.

If only I cared enough about this cg’s opinion I’d ask what the hell that was supposed to mean and whether or not it was in reference to my comment, because if so, she’d really need to re-read what I said…

In my initial comment I pointed out that Sharla, whom, like cg - as she mentioned in her Blog, I know personally, doesn’t only help support and protect battered wives but that she does it voluntarily, along with various other charitable services. I also mentioned that Sharla is married to a UAE national, who supports her in this and all of her other activities, yet he’s almost never heard of; and doesn’t seem to publicly face the negative attention she does.

I fail to see anything comedic or drunk in a comment like this (though this certainly isn’t the exact wording – my memory isn’t that great); but I’m left only to assume cg chose to omit my comment based on her personal bias towards me as shown in her comments made concerning my blog and my personal choices.

Here’s the point:

Sharla is a friend of my mothers.

She stood by me during my divorce, initially referred my husband and me marriage counseling, researched my legal rights and Islamic standing, and even accompanied me to the courts at one time. And for this, I’m ever indebted to her.

In addition, Sharla hosts dinners in her home, and invites English speaking Islamic scholars to give lectures for Muslim’s like myself, who can not fluently speak Arabic. She tirelessly works on organizing and taking parts in garage sales, food drives, and other fund raisers sending all proceeds to charity and opens her door year round to those who wish to make charitable contributions both publicly and privately.
And as I last heard, she’s well on her way or already has received official licensing for opening and running a charity here. And all of this is in addition to her safe-house.

With her dedicated lifestyle and her endless support for those who are in need and even those who aren’t, Sharla is probably the one person who has seen the worst of what the UAE can possibly breed.

What you all fail to see follows.

Sharla doesn’t complain about the injustices through letters to the editor in newspapers, or a personal blog made public. She doesn’t loathe or disrespect the UAE nationals, or Islamic laws. And yet, Sharla gets far more accomplished than the rest of us all put together.

But then, Sharla is motivated by something other than a need to bitch and complain.

Sharla is motivated by sincere compassion for people, the fact that she knows there is a higher purpose, and the deepest desire to see and help things change for the better. She’s blessed with the intellect to see the practices of people and the concept of their religious beliefs are two separate things. She knows the Islamic laws aren’t always practiced here, and she fights for true justice in the name of Islam with Islamic knowledge.

She’s logical enough to face all the injustices in the UAE and all the repercussions of those who oppose her and to fight for what she knows and believes in, while being humble enough to cover her hair, faithful enough to pray 5 times a day, fast during the month of Ramadhan, and give charity as all Muslims are commanded and even more, while greeting all people with peace and kindness; displaying the nature of Islam and its true followers.

Sharla is an American. Sharla converted to Islam out of her own conviction. Sharla does all that she does and is a reflection of the very Islamic beliefs, so many of you refuse to even learn about let alone acknowledge, while you praise her and her cause over her now famous safe-house, you obliviously despise the very thing she’s a true symbol of.

I may never be half the Muslim, or even the woman that Sharla is, but I’m blessed with eyes that fight not to see only half a story; even when the other half is something I don’t want to see.

May Allah bless others with the same ability to see, and never take my many blessings away.

Finally, may Allah bless Sharla for all that she does and all she suffers in the name of Islam, and give her strength to face conflict when it arises. May Allah reward her with peace of mind and heart in this life; and eternal bliss in the next.

9 Comments:

Blogger Tainted Female said...

Now there's a thought....


...a rather disturbing one at that.

8:35 PM, March 26, 2006  
Blogger CG said...

Tainted - I neither saw any post from you nor deleted one. Although I did get a message from keefieboy that he was unable to comment on my blog yesterday. SO any comments I have made were certainly not in reference to you.

8:48 PM, March 26, 2006  
Blogger CG said...

Also I might add that my entry regarding Sharla was more or less dictated to me by Sharla, and I only wrote what she asked me to.
She is following the blog closely and is well aware of the need to raise awareness of her cause online aswell as through the press. All of my comments in regards to that post have been run through Sharla first. Nobody has had comments deleted.

8:57 PM, March 26, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

cg

In that case, I apologize for my assumption and hope that others who read this post do take a look at the comments made here to get both sides of the story.

8:57 PM, March 26, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

It's good to know, however I never questioned whether or not she'd approve and have nothing negative to say about your initial entries concerning her.

I think just about everyone with any sanity agrees when it comes to the good she does, and believe that any positive mention can only strengthen her cause.

9:01 PM, March 26, 2006  
Blogger CG said...

Thats right, you never questioned me about it (and I never said you did). I was just covering my bases 'n all.

10:57 PM, March 26, 2006  
Blogger secretdubai said...

Her comment about "sober" refers to that weird long post by the guy who has been spamming loads of UAE blogs with his writing. I'm not sure why she didn't delete it, though.

11:36 PM, March 26, 2006  
Blogger nzm said...

What you all fail to miss follows.

Tainted - I don't believe that most of us have missed these points at all. Rather, it's because these points haven't been told before or been made into public knowledge.

Thanks for writing them - I learned more about Sharla than I knew before. But it also doesn't change what I knew before - she is an extraordinary and special woman.

10:58 AM, March 27, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

nzm

thanks for pointing out my great use of English there... LOL! Imma be off to correcting that little line now.

I consider this something missed based on the fact that Sharla's photo has been published in most newspapers, and each and every time her hair is covered with a Shayla, one of the most prominent signs that she (or any woman here) is a Muslim.

I will change the wording of that sentence, none the less, and hopefully it'll be more agreeable.

11:23 AM, March 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home