Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Unveiling Name Shame

I wonder if I’m the only person in the UAE who has ever tried to contact information to get a lost telephone number, address, or any other contact detail for some dear friend I’ve lost contact with, only to be told such services don’t really exist, or such information can’t be disclosed.

There is a solid generalization I can make about most UAE nationals and the culture of the UAE once you’ve spent enough time here, without feeling I’m being prejudice, insulting, or in any way offensive. I don’t like to generalize at all, but it seems a large percentage of nationals go to great lengths to keep their family name, tribal name and even first name at times, secret.

And this goes as much for people whose actions can make you think nothing less of them, than respectable, law-abiding, peace-loving, hard-working people, as it does for those with personalities less attractive, or culturally acceptable; depending on how you look at it. And it seems there are as many males who do this as females.

I find it fascinating, really. Many of these people have nothing to be ashamed of, in their family name, reputation or personality, so why all the secrecy?

If anyone has an answer to this question, I’d love to know what you think.

10 Comments:

Blogger Tainted Female said...

And you should be. That wasn't the question. Please re-read.

7:19 PM, March 22, 2006  
Blogger Hot Lemon& Honey said...

Well...in the middle east your name and your som3a (reputation) is the most valuable thing.
Some keep their names anonymous just incase there are people out their who might use it in the wrong way...the consipracy theory...(let me tell you rumours are as powerful as facts sometimes)..and its much easier to avoid the whole headache than spend time correcting them or defending your self.
In some instances if somebody is doing a good deed and wish to get most reward from Allah, they would keep it as anonymous as possible..cause the intention is not to be identified by you..its all done for the sake of Allah..not fame.
I guess these are two reasons I can think of.

7:24 PM, March 22, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

I hear ya... I thought about the Charity for the sake of Allah, but the reputation one... I understand but in many cases it's just normal, every day people... Know what I mean?!

7:28 PM, March 22, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

Balushi,

Seriously, I miss your blog. Please consider starting again...

7:36 PM, March 22, 2006  
Blogger Hot Lemon& Honey said...

lol Tainted...thats just what I told him on my blog..I miss his blog too..It really made me laugh..

Ok re your name shame..I agree sometimes I can't explain it either..LOL maybe they think they are "VIP"s and need to keep their life as confidential as possible..otherwise just referre them to me..I will sort out why?

7:46 PM, March 22, 2006  
Blogger Hot Lemon& Honey said...

You are a pisces!??? like me :)

7:47 PM, March 22, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

I sure am! I noticed you were a fish when I first stepped into your profile. It’s one of the reasons I knew how much you must miss home.

With the name thing, I wonder if it’s just not become such an embedded part of the national culture, because of the reasons you mentioned, it just comes naturally for some?!

Sort of like the white lies… How many times have you been right behind a local friend or colleague and talking to them on the phone, only to ask them where they are they tell you they’re at home, somewhere miles from their actual location?! It’s just natural; I mean they’re not lying intentionally, and they usually make little of it when you mention you’re right in front of them… Maybe it’s just the privacy aspect?

And seriously, Balushi SHOULD keep his damn blog. It’s one of the more entertaining ones around here; in all honesty.

Com’on, We’ll pay you? But are you shameless enough to give us your banking/mailing details and all relevant information in order to do that…

8:08 PM, March 22, 2006  
Blogger Hot Lemon& Honey said...

LOL tainted..
Well...there are other aspects of your personality that I relate to..I guess its all in the sign..and you are right..I miss home..but I am enjoying my experience here...

8:15 PM, March 22, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

I found his comments in your Blog, and he just made me feel horrible!

8:18 PM, March 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site!
laws on short term disability insurance discontinued depakote Online gambling slots craps Acrobat fax uk quote life assurance Ionamin design London short term motor insurance in us gay Mastercard gift cards affiliate programs Natural hair loss for women Infant schools in my area life insurance affordable term life insurance quot Car insurance bt esure Indiana short term health insurance

6:46 PM, August 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home