Monday, April 24, 2006

What I actually wanted to say…

…was lost in traffic on Emirates road today. So, here are a few things I probably should be writing about:

O Canada! Why aren’t you there? And why the FUCK do people think that since I’m a Canadian, I should know how to get them residency there?

Fact: Canada is just as much a prostitute as the UAE, with even more whorish standards. Canada doesn’t want you unless you’ve got a tone of money in your bank account (that she can somehow get her hands on), or a tone of educational background and experience that she can take advantage of. She has NO sympathy for you, unless you’ve got something to give her in advance.

At least the UAE will give you a place to work, make money, and possibly support those back home; regardless of your education level or the amount of money you can bring in.

Fact: I didn’t ever go through Canada’s immigration process as a foreigner and I know almost nothing about immigrating there. You’re just annoying me by assuming I should know; and by pestering me with your questions.

Call the FUCKING embassy.

Luxury Labor Camps! Not moving fast enough for you? Still can’t see the progress?

What in the world will you bitch about once these camps are the standard? How long it took?

Fact: Laborers are treated like shit by many companies here & all across the Middle East. It’s a problem, that’s in the process of being corrected in the UAE. Shit like this take time & patience is a fucking virtue!

And guess what, I haven’t been paid my fucking salary for last month yet, so it’s not as much just a fucking discrimination/racial thing as many of you would like to make out.

Nationals get off easy, NO MORE! In these instances nationals get a fucking year in jail, while foreigners get a month before being deported.

Fact: A lot of you will most certainly find a way to protest deportation, and claim it’s the bigger punishment.

If you don’t break the fucking laws you get to stay; that fucking simple. Why the FUCK should a country home you, if you can’t obey the fucking laws? For the nationals, THIS IS THEIR HOME. Makes perfect sense to deport them too, to you, I suppose though huh? I’ve got an idea; let’s swap! The UAE will keep the expatriates from your countries who commit crimes, but only in return for your country homing one for one, UAE national criminals in their place?!

British Attitude, defended by Brits over Airport drunkenness!

Fact: I worked in a customer service call center for more than two years for a satellite television company, here. I certainly encountered far more, ruder, more abusive, and down right out insulting British customers than customers of just about any other nationality. The only nationality that was even remotely as rude as the Brits I encountered, believe it or not, were Indians, and even they were a far-cry from the Brits.

International studies done on cultures & common courtesy show that Brits are in fact one of the rudest nations in the world. Why bother denying it? If you don’t like the accusation, start working towards correcting it. Don't fight with us because you're giving us that impression of you.

BBC Report about rude Brits

Now, it’s too bad I lost my original post in the traffic this morning. Damn that was nasty (was any one else stuck in it?). I’m pretty sure these little tidbits of rants will piss enough of you off to hold you all over until I’ve got something more solid or elegantly composed to share.

14 Comments:

Blogger Dry Gin Martini said...

lol dude are your parents sailors? cause you sure curse like one! so funny.

First of all, Canada rocks! (just needed to get that out of the way). Now as to all the foreigners wanting to get residency there, you're right Canada does expect much from them, as they should. We already have enough unskilled laborers and unemployed here, it doesn't make sense to accept more into the country until we deal with our own. I never went through immigration either so I can't shed any light, but your advice is very sound so I'll reiterate: Contact the F'n embassy!

Now when it comes to the Brits and rudeness, I found that funny, because people usually say Americans and French are the rudest. I, however, agree with you about the Brits because every time I'm in Paris, the rudest people I encounter are English. It's unbelievable! and they're usually old English ladies.

11:14 PM, April 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've actually gone through the immigration system in Canada and I can tell you that they were soo polite and understanding. I dont even feel this welcomed in my home country!!!
Whenever I've visited the UK, I've always been treated like a suspect. Very standoff-ish and rude for the most part. However, not all brits are like that.. some infact are very polite and warm...when drunk :P

9:38 AM, April 25, 2006  
Blogger trailingspouse said...

Tainted, just point future enquirers to http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.html. Unlikely though it may seem, it is a well constructed government website and if the would-be applicants can't figure it out they won't be accepted anyway.

I don't think it's fair to compare the UAE's policy of admitting guest workers with Canada's immigration policy - as it opens the door to citizenship, which the UAE will never do.

Personally I think Canada needs more immigrants as most of them work like hell (contrary to popular myth) and I need them to support me in my old age through the Canada Pension Plan!

11:27 AM, April 25, 2006  
Blogger Shaykhspeara Sha'ira said...

I'd love to hear an indian being rude. I'm sure it would be amusing rather than upsetting. Still In general, they are not the "being rude" types so I am surprised.

Seriously though, when I lived in Pakistan people assumed the same regarding Sweden. "how do I get there". Well you can always swim...

Our home turned into a migration office where the neighbours would come in and say, "vee have a son, he is veeerrryy educated mashallah, he is a daaaaaakkkktaaarrr (translation: doctor), and vants to goo to sveeeeedddooonn".

Good for you?

12:18 PM, April 25, 2006  
Blogger Bianca said...

When you have plans to migrate to Canada you have to find your way through a mass of websites first. Then pay - 1000 Canadian dollars to get the papers ready. Then of course the money you have to need in your bank account to keep you and your family living for an x-time. And when everything is ready, you might be ready to move to where? Oh yes, you need a house! LOL! My dear friend Trish MacQueen tried to get us over to Canada, that is why I digged into that info.

Love, Bianca (you know me, from Writing.com hehehe)

2:39 PM, April 25, 2006  
Blogger Razaldo said...

Hi Tainted.

Maybe you'd want to go through this http://www.slate.com/id/2140095/nav/tap1/?GT1=8019

Sounds wierd, but makes sense.

4:11 PM, April 25, 2006  
Blogger Fred said...

Your comments about rudeness might relate to the "Sun". (British Newspaper) Seen one of the latest about the German chanclerette? Very, very rude. No education, no style, at all.
You are so right with your comment abt: REspect the laws about the country where you llive in. If you cannot, just move out.

7:59 PM, April 25, 2006  
Blogger flamin said...

i'm glad u pointed this out and very well-written (of course, if we keep the cursing aside LOL) :P

i do agree with the rude indian bit. shaira, have u ever bumped into a rude indian secretary who treats everyone as if SHE owns the boss and nobody can talk to him except her. trust me, i have. and they are complete bitches. so i wouldnt be surprised. most of the bitchy behaviour comes from insecurity.

as for the labour problems, they have been blown out of proportion. yes, there are problems but like ahmed had pointed out in his blo; it DOES take time.

...maybe u shud put the number of the canadian embassy in ur contact details :P

8:35 PM, April 25, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

Leb,

To be honest, when I was in London for four days (even dressed in the traditional black Islamic garb), I found the Brits there were incredibly kind. It seems to me, it’s when they’re abroad they get mean. Even though, I love ‘em.

And yeah, Canada rules. I can say that cause well I’m patriotic. But the truth is, it’s all the same when it comes to immigrating just about anywhere. Countries don’t want you unless you’ve got something to give. In the UAE it happens to be hard-ass work, for little pay; Canada, it’s bank accounts they can tax the shit outta.

Leghorn, see all the purple in the post? They’re links. Click on it and you’ll see it’s an article in the paper about the new luxury camps being built for laborers. And, you can be as rude as you FUCKING (special F-word inserted for Leb’s entertainment) want to; I like you and your rudeness. LOL.

LOL @ Anon. I think it’s just a cultural difference really, when it comes to Brits compared to Americans/Canadians, etc.

What we consider rude, they don’t, and it’s that simple. Sort of like, you all would insult a local by leaving your shoes on while entertain their house, whereas back home in Canada, you’d look like a twat if you removed your shoes every time you wanted to enter a place.

Trailing spouse, I’ve never seen that site, so thanks. Actually; this little rant had more to do with the woman who was banging on my door every night around for almost a week (while I was very pregnant and not able to get out of bed), until finally the watchman of the building caught me one morning and told me so-an-so in flat whatever wanted to speak to me. I went to knock on her door, thinking maybe she wanted to complain about something, and she promptly explained her son wanted to go to Canada and she wanted me to tell her how. I was a little more than pissed; at being woken every night for something so silly.

And I agree, Canada does need more immigrants; especially because the government is so in debt. And as per UAE law, I believe citizenship can be acquired after a foreigner has spent I can’t remember the exact number but I think it’s over 25 years, here working; thus the reason so many Palestinians are granted UAE passports each year. :)

Shaykhspearia, honestly, you don’t want to hear a rude Indian Manager, whose wife is at home complaining about her television being cut (because his credit-card was rejected), after the whole department has decided to no longer deal with his secretary because she bluntly told each CSR that they were stupid/dumb/shit, while trying through numerous calls to explain to her the decoder identification number is needed to view the customers account before determining the problem. I got the pleasure of that call in particular, the man made me cry; because ‘his secretary had been working for him for 12 years, and was never rude, thus I was a liar’. And I’d dealt with a lot of rude people prior to him.

As a general rule though, I think people tend to be meaner when they know your job is to serve them no matter what and you can’t retaliate for just about anything they say or do.

Bianca! It’s wonderful for you to be here. I love you much and always. Thanks for the info you’ve shared. Know what? Last night, I was sipping on that tea you sent me. :)

Riddle, that’s one long blog entry! LOL. I’ll read it soon, I promise!

BALUSHI! They locked you up again, didn’t they? Where the HELL were you?

Jim, a pleasure to see you again. :)

LOL @ MD. Linking the number for the Canadian Embassy. LOL! People tend not to bug me about it on-line. The do it elsewhere.

8:12 AM, April 26, 2006  
Blogger Shaykhspeara Sha'ira said...

Ok Tainted, MD, I am converted.

4:57 PM, April 26, 2006  
Blogger BuJ said...

hehe rude british.. gotta make me laugh.. mind you in almost a decade in the UK i never really encountered rude brits.. arrogant brits yeah, but rude nop..

in one day in dubai you can meet as many rude brits as you can handle.. the problem is that dubai gets to different people in different ways.. and for brits it manifests itself in rudeness most of the time.

on a different topic:

i wonder how many kilos in a "tone" (sic)?

:)

9:11 PM, April 26, 2006  
Blogger Fred said...

..on another note about rudeness and Brits, I have only met very nice Brits in Dubai... in the Dubai Offshore Sailing Club. But that had been the case with most Brits I used to meet through sailing. So let´s face it. There are these and those. In every Nationality. Question to me: How tolerant must we be, how tolerant can we be?

12:17 PM, April 27, 2006  
Blogger BuJ said...

the shadow..

maybe one thing to be added is that people don't go for canada to settle there.. nop.. they go there for the passport which allows them to settle in the gulf.

7:58 PM, April 28, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

I think you’ve got a point Buj, but maybe only to a certain extent. I know a few Lebanese Canadians who went, got the passport, and are here now. But they’re only here to make a lot of money so they can go back home to Canada, where they want to retire. And did you know that Canadian citizens have to pay taxes, even while abroad? Whatever their purpose is to immigrate there, the government will STILL get its share, one way or another. *Wink* You’ve spent a long time in my blog while I’ve been away. Thank you much. You made me giggle a few times, too.

8:15 AM, April 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home