Thursday, June 29, 2006

Just a Whining Expat: All You’ll Ever Be

Browsing the newspapers this morning I couldn’t help but notice all the talk about expatriates rights and needs. Hell, in 7 Days there was even a poll asking if being called an ‘expat’ was insulting. I read the term, reverse-racism somewhere, and well I’m starting to feel that this is the thread the expatriate community is falling into, altogether.

When is the public here going to understand, whatever you call for or ask of the government isn’t your right to have and they’re under no obligation to give it to you? When is the expatriate population here going to give thanks for the damn things this country has already given you that your own damn country couldn’t?

If you go to your friends house and their parents (because you’re all acting like babies now) cook better food for you than your own mom does, that’s great. But when your friend’s mom decides to stop cooking so extravagantly except for her own family, you’ve got no god damned place bitching about it; even if you did wash their dishes after eating every meal.

Seriously, I read some stupid calls concerning Emiratization. People are saying, ”The government should help us find another job”, or ”Nationals should be hired as assistants.” Give me a fucking break people. I don’t necessarily like Emiratization because it’ll damn well effect me soon enough too, but that doesn’t mean I should have any place in making the laws. This is not my country and it’s not yours. Seriously, shut up or go home!

And on a side note, how many of you were bitching that it’s only the locals who get off on crimes easily? These murderers should be executed; according to Sha’ria rulings. 15 years is NOTHING. If the death sentence really has disappeared to sooth you whining American System lovers, at least give these fuckers life and make their own governments pay for their keep in the local prison until they rot. Why should the UAE Government even pay to feed these fucking expatriates while they’re in prison?

8 Comments:

Blogger Tainted Female said...

I'm from Canada.

On every street corner that is a family market owned and managed by a foreigner; which means only foreigners of that same nationality work there. I can’t count the number of Canadian nationals who go on about foreigners taking over our jobs and grow resent for the same.

I disagree with you, totally. I’d rather be hated by foreigners in my own country than hate the foreigners in my country myself, which is what either system initiates.

The point I’m making, who says it should be done as you say, in percentages? You? With all do respect, who are you to talk about government policies here? Don’t you have a country of your own to criticize? Now, if locals were complaining, the government should take head. In the meantime, you’re all just bitching expats biting the hand that feeds you whatever it’s willing and able to give.

8:03 PM, June 29, 2006  
Blogger CG said...

I see your point re: expats whining. BUT I do believe that the govt has made a grave mistake if they plan to go through with this. Firstly I know of some large corporations who refuse to waste loads of time waiting for the locals to turn up for their interviews (and take it from me, they dont turn up and dont let you know, or they come late, or they come and lay their demands down on the table. NOT ONE had ever come to me NEEDING a job). The main problem I am concerned with is the amount of secretaries here who are supplementing their family income. If they are out of work, then they will have to go back home, which means pulling kids out of schools here, and ultimately the husbands will eventually go aswell.

I think emiritization is necessary, but changing the mindset is more important. It will happen but not overnight.
I still agree with you about the whining expats.....nauseating. UGH

10:00 PM, June 29, 2006  
Blogger inmotion said...

whine whine whine .. deal with it move on .. that's my motto

3:08 AM, June 30, 2006  
Blogger black feline said...

no government is perfect..let them do their things without your meddling...they owed it to their people to put them first above all others..which is perfectly logical.It's really a stupid proposition to suggest giving the bigger piece of cake to the expats..as i had mentioned before..right is not an entitlement to be given freely to outsiders..do u understand what is sovereignty? give constructive criticisms and do not cry foul at every turn of events...nobody owes u a living...u are free to leave..there's a long queue waiting to get in!
Your highness...hope u approve my little indulgence here...lol

8:15 AM, June 30, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm an expat, lived here awhile, done this, done that, done everything except blah blah blah :-) Enjoyed every bit of my time here, have fond & bitter memories. One of the nicest encounter was having to interact with UAE Nationals. Was this guy good or was he good? He sure was more than just good. He was downright charming and humorous and made me go back to the same joint more than twice. First impressions count for me. Never came across a similar gesture from any expat. New generation of UAE Nationals (those that have been trained to be modest) are simply a delight to encounter. Makes me wonder why it took them so long to surface :-) Keep up the good work People and you will excel more than your expectations.

9:47 AM, June 30, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

Actually, Cg… I once hired a local PRO. He showed up exactly two days late for the interview, and I agreed to hire him anyway telling him that in the future it wouldn’t be accepted that he doesn’t keep appointments.

He was a good guy and did do his best after that, but disappeared a few months into it. Turned out, he ended up in jail for some loan or something.

I hear where you’re coming from. I really do. Hell, I don’t know where I’m going to work. I was looking forward to answering phones or something I don’t have to think about much. But how long before receptionists are nationalized too?

As I said, I don’t necessarily agree with the laws myself. I just don’t think it’s my place to be bitching about it.

;) I’m surprised to see you here. I thought you’d traveled already?

BabyK… WOMAN… Umwah! Feeling better?

Black Feline… Even if I didn’t approve, would you stop commenting?

And louis… I hear ya. There’s lots of good and lots of bad here. I tend to think it’s more culture issues than ‘surfacing’ as you put it. ;)

12:23 PM, June 30, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

“(…)any discussion on this topic is now futile.”

So we’re in agreement. Unfortunately, I decided that long before you bothered with your line-by-line attempt to respond to me with your racist comments, “I find it hard to believe that such a statement would come from a canadian, (…)”

I find it hard to believe that my blog still attracts the arrogant, racist, twats who can’t debate without attempting to hit below the belt or accept that not all opinions are in agreement with their own. So we’re equally in shock at one another.

12:33 PM, July 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you!
»

2:30 AM, December 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home