Saturday, August 05, 2006

My Most Irrational Fears…

When I was 14, I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. It’s one of the first major events that occurred in my life after entering the UAE. I was lucky; it turned out to be Benign.

I was talking with someone a while back concerning this, and they questioned how it was possible that Cancer is Benign. Cancer itself is the abnormal proliferation of cells, usually due to damaged cell DNA. Malignant Cancer can spread throughout the body. Benign cancer doesn’t spread, but the tumor where it started may continue to grow until it’s surgically removed.

After my surgery, I was informed that I still had approximately (because I can’t remember the exact number) seven tumors in my breasts, and at least one that was spotted in my uterus. According to doctors, they were nothing to fear and needn’t be removed unless I felt signs of discomfort or growth had been noted in future exams. It’s been 11 years since. And none of the tumors have shown any change. I’ve given birth to a child, and been through all sorts of medical exams and tests.

There were a number of reasons given for the initial conception of these things, the most probably one was hormone treatment I had taken in Canada a year prior. Hormonal imbalances are blamed for a number of the medical issues I have, more psychological than physical it seems.

Anyway, the fear I felt at fourteen years old being diagnosed with Cancer is indescribable. We can suffice it to say, I’m still irrationally afraid of a Cancer diagnoses because of it. I’m terrified of this, no matter what the cost. I know there is no way I could cope should I be forced to repeat this scenario again.

Generally, I’m a healthy person; at least physically. Emotionally, and mentally there’s no doubt I’m about as fucked up as the next guy. But physically, I take pretty good care of myself, despite my most disgusting habit of smoking. I’m sure to ingest a number of antioxidants, both natural and supplemental, to counter the free-radical effects of other pollutants I purposely and unintentionally consume. I take supplemental Omega 3. And I’m constantly trying to decrease my bad habits. Unfortunately, smoking seems to be one of those habits where the harder I try to decrease, the more I end up doing.

As most of my blog readers know, I’ve been sick recently; something that is really a rarity in my life. What I’ve not been, is fully telling to the majority of people I know. I’m trying to brush this off as if it’s just a cold, or a slight flu, but I’m starting to think that’s simply not the case. Could it be?

My symptoms are increasing and not decreasing. I’ve hardly left my bed for the last week, and when I do it’s only to cough up more blood. I can’t even start to cut down on the cigarettes, no matter how much inhaling kills, and I’m almost always dizzy or light headed. It’s pretty fucking hard for me to concentrate on anything. I hardly have the energy to shower, let alone leave the house to buy food – not that I can manage to eat much, or other necessities. And forget the maids, I asked them to bring home Vitamin C the other day, they brought ABC PLUS: Multi-Vitamin & Multi-Mineral formula to Support Healthy Eyes. And I’m 100% certain I should be seeking medical attention. But I’m too fucking scared.

My family is away. The boy and I aren’t talking. And chances are, (because I can think rationally at times), I’m just paranoid and it’s nothing more than a severe cold I’ve got. But that miniature possibility of the one diagnosis that scares me more than anything else is so terrifying to me that I can’t, no matter how many people try and talk me into it. I’d have to face it all alone, really. I can’t do that. And I can’t burden any of my friends with the responsibility of being the shoulder for my support. And I honestly know that I wouldn’t want to know, not while my family is so far. Not while there’s three months left before they’re expected to return. Not if learning such a thing would mean they’d cut their trip short to offer support for something that there really is no cure.

By posting this here, the last thing I want is another person telling me to go to a doctor. Please don’t bother if that’s what you’re considering doing in the comments here. When speaking to my mom the other night, I promised her if the symptoms don’t go or decrease within the next week, I’ll go. And I’ll keep that promise.

I suppose I just figured I haven’t really written anything ‘tainted’ in here in a while, and it was about time I let some of that raw, personal honesty show again. And perhaps, it’ll make you all understand why most of my posts here and many of my comments seem half-hearted almost unlike me. And an even larger part of me is hoping that by talking about it, I’ll somehow jinx this sickness away and prove myself the drama-queen we all know I am.

I sincerely mean it when I ask all of you not to worry about me in this sense. If it’s a cold, it’s a cold. If it’s something worse, well I’ve been there before too and no matter what I’ll pull through and be alright. I always am. And I can’t handle pity at all.

In the meantime, may I introduce you all to a good friend of mine, who has been an inspiration to me for years, now. His name is Andrew, and you can find his blog here:

My Blog, Milk in the Coconut


Andrew is living proof of the power of positive thinking. Being told multiple times that his life expectancy was less than 6 months, 3 months, or even a single month, (since I knew him alone), he’s shocked the medical industry time and time again, not only beating the odds but staying active, energetic and positive through it all; up until today. He is truly an amazing person who you will never see complaining, who rarely talks about his illnesses, who informs when information is deemed necessary. He’s fuller of life and love than most of the ‘healthy’ people I’ve ever come across.

In Andrew’s own words, ’ Being sick has taught me to live and for that I am grateful. I do not think I would be where I am today if it were not for Cancer and Aids. They have not killed me. They only helped me see the right way to go in life I am truly lucky.’

Yes, you read right. Andrew suffers from both Cancer & AIDS. Both are actively killing him from this inside out. And there’s nothing that can be done to cure either. He’s literally waiting for death. But Andrew does it with a smile, while rebelling against death no matter how firm you’d think its grasp on him is.

God Bless him, and those like him.

12 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Andrew must be one of those inspirations for Eckhart Tolle's bestseller 'The Power of Now'.

You ought to check it out, it's all about positive thinking but knowing your attitude, you're way ahead of 'The Power of Now'.

I'll betcha, nothing can crack ya because you've got this tough attitude about you. To cite it in layman terms, you're:

'Tougher than the Rest'

Hang in there Kiddo, you can do it!

2:32 PM, August 05, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Big Daddy says and I ain't gonna say this again; go see a friggin Doctor soon.

2:36 PM, August 05, 2006  
Blogger babe_uae said...

Tainted,
You really have some strength girl and really I wish you well, take care of yourself.

Hugs

2:36 PM, August 05, 2006  
Blogger black feline said...

your highness..i meant to tell u for a long time...will do so NOW at the risk of losing my head!Yr immune system is weak...i suggest u try lingzhi or korean ginseng pure powder (very potent)...and regular excercising...im doing thai boxing for the past 5 years, swim and jog regularly...the ginseng powder gives me enuff energy each day to knock out TEN baluchi...no cold, no pain...absolutely nothing ...touch wood! Last but not least....MEDITATION...15 mins per day...and if u could... take up yoga!

4:31 PM, August 05, 2006  
Blogger Mike said...

I just wanted to tell you I quite enjoyed reading through your blog this morning! Very interesting writing and ideas - I will definitely come visit again soon.....

4:43 PM, August 05, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

Symphony,

Andrew is an angel, I swear not even from this world. And you didn't read well did you? LOL! Had to let Big Daddy speak, didn't you?

Babe,

Thank you much honey.

Balushi, Maybe you're right. Maybe it's hassood. Give me your voodoo guy's number! And you shouldn't worry so much, there are lots of people to fight with you, and YOU KNOW how to fix your own blog; you're just too lazy to do it yourself.

Feline,

Actually, I drink a Catechin & Ginseng mixture from Japan, but irregularly. Actually, I don't think I've had it since I moved back in here. Thanks for the reminder.

And about the other things... I used to do Yoga regularly. But I got lazy. I agree with you, great for your health in general.

And Mike, welcome. It's a pleasure to have you here.

7:33 PM, August 05, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well, Big Daddy cares about his little girl. So take good care of yourself, you hear?

I ain't gonna say this again.

LOL.

Be good and keep that winner's attitude about you.

7:50 PM, August 05, 2006  
Blogger psamtani said...

Since we're giving health advice...

And sub those omega-3 supplements with ground flaxseed, which is a natural source. Plus its got lignans (plant estrogens), which are supposed to be really good for you, as you get older.


Why rely on supplements? Eat some fruits mama...

8:32 PM, August 05, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

lol

psamtani...

I eat flaxseed as-well...

BUT.. there's less scientific proof that the Omega-3 you get from flaxseed has any effect (you can look this up in wiki), as supplements of pure fish oil do.

You do know I used to work in an Alternative med company, yeah?

8:43 PM, August 05, 2006  
Blogger psamtani said...

O I see... I didn't know. But since you didn't want people to tell you to go to the doc, or to give you pity - I had no choice but to add a bullshit comment.

Now that I know, theres only one thing I can say...


HIPPIE!

8:52 PM, August 05, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

loooooool...........

You made me laugh.

Laughing's not a good thing right now, cause it ends in coughing. But I believe laughing helps a person heal faster, so thanks. :)

8:59 PM, August 05, 2006  
Blogger Lizza said...

That's right, Tainted. Laughter helps! But don't overdo it...you'll pass gas too. ;-)

8:44 AM, August 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home