Saturday, July 21, 2007

Educating Mommy...

I’ve learned…

Finally working a full time job, in a huge company, where rather than basing your position on your nationality, looks, or ability to fake it, you’re actually expected to start from the bottom and work your way up no matter what, I’m learning a lot about how life is supposed to be. As much as I hate waking up first thing, on theses cold-assed mornings, it feels good to have a purpose – a real challenge. Six weeks of company training is enough to make you feel as though you’re back in fucking high school; urges to pass notes and all.

Since I’ve been home, I’ve learned:

~*You CAN have a great time without money. Most people here manage with little, and most of them have smiles on their faces.
~*How to put petrol in the car. Dubai doesn’t have ONE self-serve petrol station. Canada hardly has ONE full-serve petrol station. Now, I haven’t actually had to do this myself yet (because I’m playing the spoiled card), but if it came down to it, I’d manage alright!
~*That it’s called gas, and not petrol.
~*That you can leave your house in your pajamas and no one will look twice at you. I actually did that yesterday, in the rain. And I enjoyed it.

And the biggest lesson I’d say I’ve learned is:

~*That most people don’t realize, they only are what the world perceives them as, and not what they perceive themselves as.

Someone congratulated me on the recent choices I’ve made. That same someone, takes personal credit for suggesting I do the same months, if not years ago. Which is funny, considering the fact that this person decided I wasn’t good enough for their friendship and vanished for a short while before attempting to spark a fight with me. I’m not sure really how that works, but I do know that most people won’t take (Or even hear really) ill-gotten advice from someone who (like most Dubains) fakes friendship, fucks off without a moments notice, fails to keep their commitments (even on small levels, like say a promised coffee or phone call?) then attempts to attack you from the side for some mundane reason. Most people won’t take advice when the timing is wrong or there are conflicting aspects to the situation. And as a side note, I always, and I mean ALWAYS knew I had to get the fuck out of UAE. And I wasn’t looking for someone to agree with me concerning that decision. I rarely look for approval in what I choose to do for myself – and I when I do, I come right out and ask, “What do you think I should do?” More often than not, I ask that question of people whose opinions I respect. The truth is, I was fighting my own reality to stay with my child. There is a huge difference, and I’d think that someone educated in the emotional area would comprehend these things. But I guess it takes a mommy to understand a mommy’s heart.

Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger i*maginate said...

Hey Mommy!
Gosh you've gone quite philosophical! Whoah, love it! Ummm excuse me, Canada is freezing, like -30c...how on earth do you dudes go to parties? Leave your house wearing 100 layers then rip em all off at your destination? I still don't get it, but I guess you get used to it, and it's prob not a huge deal when you're happy with everything else around the blace (blace, I said haha)

So umm you got a job? Hmm What are the people like? What's your boss like? Huge companies are scary, do you not find? I think so! Man, the politics sucks!

wha-hayyy!! any time for play?

take care lovagal

4:10 PM, July 22, 2007  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

Heya Lova!

It's not that cold. We don't live in igloo's or anything. It's actually been about 17 degrees lately. But that's just the last week. Before that it was up in the high 20's. :) Still want my leather jacket though!

And, I don't have a boss yet. I have an instructor. It's a HUGE company, and the training lasts 8 weeks before they put you on the floor. Check out www.west.com. :) That's it.

I think the people are great. Like most of BC, everyone's laid back and chillin. Even at work. All's well!

How's you?

8:35 PM, July 22, 2007  
Blogger adevents said...

Great , congratulation I guess u r not just adopting to the country actually u r doing very fine , hey didn’t I asked u before should I immigrate to Canada, should I do it now?

11:51 AM, July 24, 2007  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

Hiya AD... Been a while again..

If that's what you wanna do, why not? Come to Canada!

5:22 PM, July 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AAAAH! Great news!

Yes, I miss being somewhere you don't have to look in the mirror before going out.

Yesterday, I went out wearing flip flops and shorts. As usual, the taxi driver was asking me: "Are you from the Gulf?". Which translates to: "Can I tamper the taxi fare and charge more money please?".

So true about the perceptions theory. Arabs just live in their small little bubble where they assume that they're the almighty of many things!

5:42 PM, August 09, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home