Saturday, May 06, 2006

Professional Diagnoses: Life in the UAE

Back to the work front; the boss sent a little money at the end of last week. It wasn’t enough to cover salaries, or all expenses but a little is better than none. I’m still quitting.

In fact, I sent him an email this morning that outlined the remaining expenses needed, as well as a note mentioning that I’ve advertised my position in this company and will be forwarding prospective CV’s his way. I told him I want to be out of here by the end of this month at the latest.

Initially, since I still don’t have a contract, I thought to just pack up my things and leave… Today. But guilt hit me as I walked into this beautiful showroom, with products I’m so in love with, and realized that if I quit it’ll all just close down. There’s no one else here to run things; and thus I’d be not only fucking this many over, but also a line of products I believe in 100%.

When I joined the head office for this company almost a year ago now, these products helped keep me away from clinical meds I’d been taking for more than 5 years; since they’ve become an everyday part of my life and I truly love them.

So; I’m trying to do the right thing, the best I can.

I’m not sure how he’ll respond. And there’s huge chance I’ll never get the money he owes me; for last month or even this month, which I’m intending to use to train my replacement and sort everything out before I leave. But my conscious will be clear, I guess. No one will be able to blame me for the collapse (that is doomed to come eventually anyway).

My parents took a little more note of the situation I’m in. They offered to buy me a ticket to vacation back home for a while; suggested I take time off to spend with my son, and then invited me to move back in with them… I’ve heard such invitations before and though I know they’re sincere, I also knows my mom tired easily and it’ll be real quick before she makes it obvious I’m no longer wanted in her home if I choose this option.

I’m not sure what I’m going to do yet. But I’m not too worried about it either. Something will work out. It always does.

On a side note, last night my son fell asleep on the couch in my house while I was in the shower. When I came out, I noticed this HUGE bug-bite type mark on his left cheek. I checked everywhere for the critter that bit him, but found nothing at all. I went to get dressed, and by the time I came back he had a number of new bite looking things on the same cheek, and a bunch on his right cheek and arm as well. I freaked out, picked him up and removed his clothing. I searched the couch, the blanket and everything he was wearing.

There was nothing; no bug.

I rushed him to a doctor; on the way, his cheeks swelled up and these multiple bites became one big swell on each cheek. Turns out, he had an allergic reaction to either something he ate or a bug-bite.

He didn’t eat anything strange. It couldn’t have been from food.

Now, I remember reading about bedbugs in the UAE in the papers, sometime last week. It was saying the cases are increasing and they’re finding their ways into homes; even in Jumeirah and are no longer common only in hotels & hostels where travelers tend to pass.

I couldn’t help but think about this as I tucked myself into bed last night. Then my legs started to itch. Is it psychological, or do I got bugs?

6 Comments:

Blogger Harsha said...

could it be chicken pox? its hot!

10:57 AM, May 06, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

Not pox... that was my first thought...

But they haven't spread yet, and the antihistamine lessened the swelling… I’m talking one little blemish turning into a bunch, then becoming one BIG one, the size of his cheek, on both cheeks… and then his arm too.

I think it must have been a bug that I didn’t see.

11:47 AM, May 06, 2006  
Blogger BuJ said...

sorry harsha, but what does chicken pox gotta do with temprature?

this is pure allergic reaction..

tainted. i feel for ya.. u write in a clear way but also in a very raw way. i wish i can do that, and express myself as freely as you do. anyway in your shoes i think it's very important to be as open as you're being or u will just explode.. also i don't agree that u will eventually u will collapse.. i think if u act wisely and use the ppl around u to support u at this time then u will pass thru it.

as for allergy.. this is super weird.. coz today i had the same feeling. it lasted 30 min only. but was really freaky and annoying. i never been allergic to anything b4 (other than annoying ppl and pollen).. and i got this after eating fish.. the fish was so yummy but it was so obviously fish coz that's all i ate (and coffee as well) but i been drinking coffee ever since mom weaned me off.

anyway.. u need to know what he's allergic to.. most of the times it's minor, but if it's a major allergy it could be bad. check with doctor.

my itch was like a mosquito bite and disappeared quickly.

anyway good luck and health to ya both :)

3:48 AM, May 07, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

Buj,

You know, you’re really sweet. And each time you comment around here, I feel worse and worse for thinking even for a moment that I didn’t like you much… *insert blushing icon here, please**

Another swell started on his leg yesterday morning, but has since died down. He’s getting much better. I sprayed my house for bugs; cause really that’s all I can even conceive it could have been that threw him off; and I didn’t feel any itching as I slept last night. (Still psychological?)

And as for other things, work and all… I know it’ll all sort itself out. In the meantime, I’m patiently waiting for that to happen; and thinking about what steps I’d like to take next.

Have a wonderful day, guys.

1:18 PM, May 07, 2006  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

hannibal

I sprayed the SHIT outta my house last night with bug spray(S). Lots of them, and lots of different types... if it was a bug (or lots of bugs), they're DEAD NOW.

5:26 PM, May 07, 2006  
Blogger BuJ said...

tainted.. ahlan wa sahlan :)
don't worry about it...
hope your son is feeling better now, bless him.

10:19 AM, May 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home