Tuesday, July 24, 2007

I love Etisalat (And other things UAE)

Down with a cold, exhausted from the lifestyle that’s gleefully pushed itself on me, I’ve got to say, I love Etisalat (and other things UAE).

Last night Shawna called me up. Since I’ve been home, I’ve learned that her mom is staying in a crack house in Vancouver, and her younger sister was still selling herself to feed her own addiction. Shawna herself, though doing well on the Island away from the drugs, was diagnosed a year or so back as Schizophrenic. I always knew something wasn’t right with her; it didn’t take more than a teenaged confession from her that she’d called 911 thinking her head was falling off, to realize. She’s getting the medical help she needs, she’s working and she’s studying.

Last nights call wasn’t a good one though. Shawna called to inform me that Kyla was diagnosed as HIV positive.

As much as I love Canada, and I love being here – the easy access to drugs, the lawless lifestyle that’s so easy to slip into, and the repercussions are enough for me to once again thank God I’m not raising my son here.

I cried myself to sleep last night. I cried remembering Kyla and how innocent she once was. I cried, feeling pretty shitty before the call, and devastated afterwards. I guess pretty soon I’ll be taking a trip to the Crack House, to visit Kyla with her mom – where she’s now staying.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger i*maginate said...

man, i mean woman, i mean babe, i mean lovagal, why do you get involved in this stuff. It's not good stuff if you can't handle it. Do you know why you do? Are you some kind of shock absorber? Break away from pain while you're breaking away from your own pain, my love

8:22 AM, July 25, 2007  
Blogger Tainted Female said...

Hey hun... These are childhood friends. Shawna, Kyla and I were caught by their mom stealing - she took us to jail to teach us a lesson. Just weeks later, their father was caught trafficking heroin from Thailand to Canada, and their mom was suffering withdrawals. I took care of both Kyla & Shawna, cooking, cleaning and making sure we WERE ALL at school, on time.

Their mom AND dad ended up in prison for attempting to rob a bank a little later. When they got out, mom was sent to rehab (which didn't work) dad couldn't cope on the outside and ended up attempting to rob another bank. This time, dad committed suicide in jail.

Shawna and Kyla, both minors, went to adoptive homes for a short while, before they became what was called "Wards of the State" - meaning the government takes care of them and they have no other official parent.

I stood with/by them through all of this right up until I moved to Dubai.

I can't just walk away. These people are a HUGE part of my life now. And chances are, I'm the ONLY stability they've ever known - even if I did leave to the other side of the planet for 12 years.

3:08 AM, July 26, 2007  
Blogger i*maginate said...

Hi sweetheart. Didn't really mean for you to explain yourself, though obviously it helps reshape my opinion, without having known the details which you've described.

Look, the only reason I'm sharing my opinion with you is that I really respect your courage, and the compassion you have for fellow human beings. I just doubt if it's really something someone should be doing when they're in the midst of sorting their own personal life out. But we are shaped differently: if you can help others while helping yourself, good for you: you're a real star.

"I took care of both Kyla & Shawna, cooking, cleaning and making sure we WERE ALL at school, on time."

You are so disciplined. Btw, did you keep up with your "jewelery" business?

5:26 AM, July 27, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home